Saturday, June 11, 2011

Auto-Mount Hard Drives in Linux

Since it has been a few days since I have made a post and I am working on trying my luck at bash script writing, I've been a little preoccupied. So I decided to do a short write up on auto-mounting (the easy way) hard drives. We're going to take a look at a program called "pysdm" located in the Software Manager:

pysdm Graphical Storage and Hard Drive Manager


When the program is installed, you can run it under Administration -> Storage Device Manager. This program will provide a graphical solution for editing your hard drives boot options, the owners, and various options. My problem is that I have two hard drives that are auto-mounted and one that is not. So I'm going to configure the one that is not. When you start the program up, you'll be greeted by the screen below:

pysdm Graphical Storage and Hard Drive Manager


Expand the trees for the hard drives and click on the partition listed on the drive. In my case, I'm going to be auto-mounting sdc1. When I click on it for the first time, it asks me if I want to prepare the hard drive, say yes. Click on "Dynamic Configuration Rules" for some information about your hard drive (model, vendor) and the ability to assign some custom rules. Back under General is where the assistant is though and that's the feature I'm going to be going over. Click on Assistant now for this screen:

pysdm Partition Assistant


When you're satisfied with the settings, hit apply and you've got a hard drive that auto-mounts. Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment